Susan L. Bender was admitted to practice law in the State of New York in 1980. Susan has an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell. In the over thirty-five years that she has been in practice, matrimonial practice has occupied approximately ninety (90%) percent of her time. She is the former Chair of the New York City Bar Matrimonial Committee.
Ms. Bender is a Fellow of the American College of Family Trial Lawyers. She is a fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and a member of the Board of Governors and executive committee of the New York Chapter.
Ms. Bender is a past President of the Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York (WBASNY) and remain a member of WBASNY. She is a former co-chair of the WBASNY matrimonial committee. She is also a former member of the Board of Directors of the New York Chapter. Ms. Bender is a former member of the Interdisciplinary Forum and formerly a member of its Executive Committee. She is a founding member, former Vice President, Secretary and current board member of Judges and Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert (JALBCA); a member of the New York State Bar Association Family Law Committee; a member of LeGal (Lesbian and Gay Lawyers Association); and a member of the American Bar Association Family Law Section.
She has lectured and continues to lecture in many areas of family law and procedure for the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, the Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, the New York State Bar Association, the Brooklyn Bar Association and have lectured at Pace University and for the Interdisciplinary Forum on many issues. Ms. Bender has also lectured at LeGal and American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. I also attended other conferences and lectures given by other state bar associations and various local groups, including The Fund For Modern Courts and the American Bar Association.
She completed the Domestic Arbitration Seminar in September of 1991, and a 40 hour Mediation Seminar held at the ABA Mid-Year Convention in Miami in February, 1995.
Ms. Bender was appointed by Chief Judge Judith S. Kaye to the New York Judicial Committee on Women in the Courts, and am a former member of the Advisory Committee on Civil Practice having been appointed by former Chief Administrator of OCA, Matthew T. Crossen. She was appointed by Judge Betty W. Ellerin to the First Department Judicial Committee to Certify Law Guardians and planned the Training Programs for law guardians, which were conducted on April 15, 2002 through the Fall of 2002 and November 14, 2003. She was appointed by Chief Judge Judith S. Kaye to the Matrimonial Commission chaired by the Honorable Sondra Miller. She was appointed by Justice John T. Buckley to the Law Guardian Advisory Committee of the Appellate Division, First Department.
Ms. Bender has more than forty-five (45) reported Appellate Court decisions related to family law issues. She has been trial counsel in dozens of family law matters in both the Family Courts and the Supreme Courts in various counties throughout this State. I have represented, over the years, hundreds of clients, submitted at least that many motions, have argued before many Courts and have participated as an arbitrator and advocate in arbitration proceedings.
Ms. Bender is the author of a chapter in the New York Practice Guide (Matthew Bender Publisher, 1988) entitled, “Enforcement of Money Judgments”. Additionally, she is the author of a chapter in New York Family Law Strategies entitled Bringing Justice to a Flawed System (Thompson Reuters/Aspatore Press, 2009), and an article published by the New York Domestic Relations Reporter in 1989 entitled, “The Finality Rule Barrier to Court of Appeals Review of Appellate Division Orders in Matrimonial Litigation.”
Areas of Practice
- Matrimonial Law
- Family Law
- New York, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1982
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1987
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York
- J.D. – 1980
- Harper College, State University of New York, Binghamton, New York
- B.A. – 1973
- Chapter, “Enforcement of Money Judgments”, New York Practice Guide, Matthew Bender, 1988
- “The Finality Rule Barrier to Court of Appeals Review of Appellate Division Orders in Matrimonial Litigation”, New York Domestic Relations Reporter, Matthew Bender, Vol. 1, No. 13, December, 1989
- “Is Every Woman One Divorce Away from Financial Disaster?”, On the Issues Magazine, 1997
- “The Lawyer’s Bookshelf: New York Law of Domestic Violence”, New York Law of Domestic Violence, October, 1998
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, Joan L. Ellenbogen Award, New York Women’s Bar Association, 2007
- Founders Day Award, Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, 1998
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Board Member, Executive Committee)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Member, Matrimonial Law Committee, 2002
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, Past President
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, Board Member
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, Co-Chair, Matrimonial Committee
- Gay and Lesbian Law Association of Greater New York
- New York State Matrimonial Commission
- Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Board Member
- Judges and Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert (, Founding Member, 1992 – Present
- Judges and Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert (, Vice President, 1992 – Present
- Judges and Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert (, Secretary and Board Member, 1992 – Present
- Civil Practice Law and Rules Committee of the Office of Court Administration, Past Member
- New York Judicial Committee on Women in the Courts, Member, 1993 – Present
- Attorney General of the State of New York, Member, Women’s Advisory Committee, 1994
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Member, Executive Committee
- Committee to Certify Law Guardians for Appointment in Domestic Relations Matters in the First Judicial Department, Member
- Matrimonial Commission, Committee Member, 2006
- Executive Committee of the New York State Bar Association, Member
- Board of JALBCA (Judges and Lawyer’s Breast Cancer Alert), Member
- Matrimonial Advisory Committee of the Unified Court System, Member