Sleek. Midcentury modern. Tempting. Aspirational. Must-have. All of these are words shoppers might use to describe West Elm and the stylish wares it sells. “Cheap” doesn’t make the list. However, by shopping wisely (and at the right times), “affordable” might actually be possible.
Don’t be deterred by West Elm’s rather high price tags ever again.
Follow these tips finding great discounts, promo codes and deals to bring West Elm furniture into your budget — and into your home.
Related: Here’s where else to find the best furniture deals online.
16 Ways To Save at West Elm
1. Join The Key Rewards Program
The Key is West Elm’s loyalty program — and is the key to saving at West Elm, as well as at its sister brands, Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, Pottery Barn Teen and Mark & Graham. In fact, joining The Key should be the first step you take on your journey of saving at West Elm.
By joining The Key, you’ll get:
- 2% back when you shop at West Elm or its sister brands. When you earn at least $10 back, you’ll receive a reward via e-mail. Key Rewards expire within 90 days of receipt, so be sure to use them in time. Use your Key Rewards in stores and online on purchases and design services. If you have the West Elm credit card, you get boosted rewards (5% back) on in-brand purchases.
- Free design help.
- Exclusive access to sales. Plus, get a sneak peak at new products.
Joining the West Elm rewards program is a great way to save because every purchase gets you closer to a discount on a future purchase.
2. Shop West Elm Outlet Deals
West Elm Outlet stores offer overstocked and past-season items at up to 60% off full price.
Does West Elm have an outlet?
Yes. To find West Elm outlet stores, go to the store locator page and filter by WEOutlet.
You’ll need to shop with a flexible mindset — that tempting item you saw online might not be available. But if you love West Elm’s design aesthetic, West Elm outlet stores are a treasure trove of savings.
3. Shop the West Elm Sale Section
Whether you’re in a West Elm store or on its website, head for the sale section. This is where you’ll find everything that’s marked down.
You won’t find the very newest items here, but you’ll still find plenty. To maximize your savings, learn to shop a season behind. For example, shop holiday decor in January and patio furniture in the early fall.
4. Shop West Elm Clearance Deals
For items West Elm really wants to unload, check the clearance section of its site. The selection will be a bit more random — but everything is priced to sell. Think pillow covers for $10, fancy napkins for $5, storage baskets for $25 and West Elm rugs priced at more than 50% off.
Watch out for West Elm final sale items
Note that, when shopping West Elm clearance items, you’ll come across final sale items (with prices ending in “.97” or “.99”). These super-discounted items are considered to be final sale, which means they are NOT eligible for returns.
5. Sign Up For West Elm Emails
To make sure you’re in the loop about all West Elm deals and sales, sign up for its emails via its homepage to ensure you receive a heads up on West Elm promo codes. If you don’t know about a discount, you can’t snag it, after all. So make sure to sign up for a steady flow of West Elm offers.
6. Use a West Elm Promo Code or West Elm Discount Code
Unlike other retailers, West Elm isn’t known for offering promo codes constantly. And that makes West Elm promo codes extra valuable when they do come around. You’ll find the occasional West Elm coupon code on its site. But to be totally in the loop, make sure you’re signed up for West Elm emails — the discounts will come straight to you.
Obviously, we’re signed up for the email list — and, just in time for the holidays, we received a West Elm coupon code worth 50% off everything, as well as a free-shipping offer.
Does West Elm have a student discount?
No. West Elm used to have a 15% student discount, but we just confirmed with several stores that West Elm has recently discontinued the student discount. Luckily, plenty of other stores offer student discounts.
Does West Elm have a teacher discount?
No. Just like the West Elm student discount, West Elm’s 15% teacher discount has come to an end. Luckily, plenty of other stores offer teacher discounts.
How do I get 15% of at West Elm
West Elm doesn’t regularly offer a 15% off coupon or promo code and, as you can see above, they no longer offer a 15% student or teacher discount. However, there are still ways to save 15% — or more. Be sure you’re signed up for West Elm emails. Our editors frequently receive notice of 15% off or more at West Elm in certain categories. You’ll also find up to 50% off in West Elm’s clearance section.
7. Shop West Elm Sales Throughout the Year
If the item you have your heart set on isn’t on sale, just wait. West Elm offers seasonal sales throughout the year. You’ll hear all about them as they happen if you’re signed up for West Elm emails, but these are some of the best West Elm sales to watch out for every year:
- West Elm Black Friday: West Elm jumps into the Black Friday fray every November with some of the best deals of the year. In previous years, we’ve seen up to 15% off furniture, 20% off home decor, 20% off clearance and a lower free-shipping threshold. Note that the West Elm Black Friday sale often requires a promo code — so check before you shop.
- West Elm White Sales: Traditionally, home goods retailers offer “white sales” in January, discounting linens (bedding and towels). While they don’t usually use this exact terminology, you can expect West Elm to offer such a sale in January.
- West Elm Warehouse Sale: The West Elm Warehouse sale generally pops up near the end of the year and offers up to 50% off select furniture. The sister brands generally get involved, too.
- West Elm Holiday Sales: December is a marathon of discounts at West Elm. Then, after Dec. 25, check for after-Christmas sales (particularly when it comes to holiday decor).
8. Get West Elm Registry Discounts and Freebies
If you’re getting married or having a baby, you’re in luck because West Elm is part of The One registry collective, with its sister brands.
When you create a West Elm registry, you get the following money-saving perks:
- Free gifts when you add certain items to your registry.
- Partner discounts, including 20% off at Minted and a free week of Pure Barre classes.
Does West Elm have a registry completion discount?
West Elm does not advertise a registry completion discount, although it has offered 15% off in the past. However, that’s where its sister brands come in. By registering via The One registry collective, you can add gifts from West Elm (and other Williams Sonoma brands) and take advantage of the Williams Sonoma registry completion program, which gets you 10% off remaining gifts from Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma (20% off at Pottery Barn Kids). Learn more.
9. Get West Elm Free Shipping
West Elm doesn’t offer a consistent free-shipping threshold. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get free shipping.
How to Get West Elm Free Shipping
Certain items qualify for free shipping, and you can find them here. On West Elm’s free shipping page, you’re unlikely to find free shipping on furniture — and far more likely to find it on smaller items, like bedding and home decor.
You can also often find West Elm free shipping promos during its sales. Make sure you’re signed up for the West Elm email list to receive free shipping promo codes. Or, check our West Elm coupons page. During certain sales, for example, we’ve seen West Elm offer free shipping on orders under $79.
10. Check the Top of the West Elm Website
This is where you’ll find the most current promotion or sale. In true West Elm style, this banner will be understated, rather than flashy. But it’ll take you right to the best offers available.
11. Get the West Elm Credit Card
The West Elm Key Rewards credit card supercharges your rewards, netting you 5% back every time you shop. That means, a $500 purchase gets you $25 to spend later. The West Elm credit card offers other benefits as well, including special financing, boosted rewards in your first 30 days and a birthday reward for $25.
12. Shop West Elm Floor Models
Part of the fun of shopping at a West Elm store is admiring those perfectly staged rooms with furniture and lovely West Elm rugs. Sometimes, West Elm will offer discounts on its floor models. Look for signage around the store that contains floor model pricing.
Make sure to inspect any floor model item for wear and tear, however — especially rugs, as these see a lot of foot traffic.
13. Shop West Elm Open-Box Discounts
In the back of the store, you’ll often find open-box items — items that were returned unused. Open-box discounts are most common on small items (decor, dishes and ornaments). And these items will be piled unceremoniously on a shelf, rather than tastefully arranged like the rest of the store. But the markdowns are worth digging for.
14. Get a West Elm Professional Discount
Are you an interior designer, architect, set designer or home developer? If so, be sure to join West Elm’s trade program. Members get 20% off at Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, PBteen, Williams Sonoma, West Elm and Mark and Graham.
15. Take Advantage of West Elm Free Design Services
West Elm offers a basic interior design consultation for free. This includes an hour-long consultation during which an expert will help you plan a room, from furniture down to decor.
A consultation with an expert can help you make the most out of your space and plan strategically, so you don’t overspend on a too-large sectional sofa or decor that just doesn’t work together.
You can also use this nifty free room planner to mock up your space and drag and drop beautiful West Elm furniture into it in 3D.
16. Consolidate your Truck Delivery Orders and Take Advantage of West Elm White Glove Delivery
If you plan on buying a lot from West Elm, be strategic and consolidate everything in one order if possible. That’s because many larger items arrive by truck delivery — and the cost of truck delivery is charged at a flat rate to a single shipping address.
Truck delivery has another advantage. It includes White Glove Service, which means your items will be delivered to your room of choice and fully assembled. Note that some items, such as lighting, oversized mirrors, rugs and headboards aren’t included in White Glove Service. Learn more.
By consolidating all the large items you need into a single order, you’ll pay less in delivery costs AND get the benefit of White Glove Service.