A $30 Alarm Can Stop a Silent Killer. Why Many Hotels Don’t Install Them. in July 2022

Diagnostic confusion also seemed to have played a role in the Sandals case. The night before they were supposed to check out, two of the people who died, Robbie Phillips, 65, a travel adviser who was actually one of the top sellers for Sandals, and her husband, Michael, 68, visited a medical facility complaining of nausea and vomiting, according to local authorities. Donnis Chiarella, 65, who was staying on the other side of the wall, also visited a clinic, her son told ABC News. All returned to their adjoining beachfront villas, where the Phillipses and Ms. Chiarella’s husband, Vincent, 64, were found unresponsive the next morning according to local authorities. Later that day, all three were pronounced dead. Ms. Chiarella, who had to be hospitalized, was the lone survivor.

Further complicating diagnosis is the fact that there often aren’t any major hints before the invisible, odorless gas renders someone too disoriented to take action, said Patrick Morrison, the chief of field services for the International Association of Fire Fighters, the largest union of firefighters and paramedics in the United States. He said his union supports requiring detectors in all hotel sleeping quarters for this reason.

“If you cannot get out to fresh air, you’ll be overcome by it,” Mr. Morrison said. “That’s why people die in their sleep.”

Mr. Markowski returned to his room, where at some point he recalls lying on the floor screaming.

Carbon monoxide is released when a device burns a fuel such as gas, oil, propane, kerosene, wood or charcoal. The most common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning in hotels are boilers and heaters used to warm swimming pools and water for an entire wing, said Dr. Lindell K. Weaver, who specializes in carbon monoxide poisoning at Intermountain Healthcare in Salt Lake City. Gas dryers, fire places, portable gas-powered pool cleaning devices and portable generators are other sources of carbon monoxide leaks.

If these devices are working properly — or, in the case of generators, if they are used in a safe location outside — they shouldn’t pose a danger. Carbon monoxide, in tiny amounts, will exit through the exhaust vent. Problems typically occur when the device malfunctions or the vent is blocked or broken. In Mr. Markowski’s case, fire reports identified a bird’s nest plugging the vents in the room with the hot water tanks.

The gas can follow air currents through vents, tiny holes and even dry wall, sometimes ending up far away from the original source of the leak. In this case, the gas likely entered Room 205 through holes and crevasses in the floor, according to fire authorities.


Share post on

News

It’s the end of ‘fantasyland’ for Big Tech and its workers

After Big Tech grew in unprecedented and unchecked fashion for a decade, building ostentatious...

By Nicholas Raymond
News

Rare Case of Polio Prompts Alarm and an Urgent Investigation in New York

The scene in Rockland County on Friday morning might well have been from a...

By Nicholas Raymond
News

Opinion | I Was Wrong About Al Franken

During the height of the #MeToo movement in 2017, a woman named Leeann Tweeden...

By Nicholas Raymond
News

TA: Ethereum Stuck In Key Range, Why $1,480 Is The Key

Ethereum failed again to settle above the $1,620 zone against the US Dollar. ETH...

By Nicholas Raymond
News

China Adds Science Laboratory to Its Orbiting Space Station

BEIJING (AP) — China added a laboratory to its permanent orbiting space station Monday...

By Nicholas Raymond
News

American Track Athletes Showed Up. Did American Fans?

Kara Winger arrived at the track and field world championships as one of the...

By Nicholas Raymond
News

Accepting Bitcoin for your business just like Tesla: Report

Tesla temporarily embracing Bitcoin (BTC) as a method of payment for its products was...

By Nicholas Raymond
News

How Much Money Can You Save by Going Meatless Once a Week?

This story is part of Home Tips, CNET's collection of practical advice for getting...

By Nicholas Raymond

Latest Posts

Coupon

Disney Starbucks Ornaments $17.99 in August 2022

Shop over at the Disney Store where you can get this Minnie Mouse Starbucks Cup Ornament...

By Alfred Keen
Coupon

Russell Men’s and Big Men’s 9″ Core Training Active Shorts WALMART CLEARANCE in August 2022

The post Russell Men’s and Big Men’s 9″ Core Training Active Shorts WALMART CLEARANCE...

By Alfred Keen
Coupon

Adidas Men’s Shoes $39 Shipped in August 2022

Shop at Adidas where they are currently offering up to 50% off shoes! Select styles...

By Alfred Keen
Coupon

Tabita Brown Journal 2-Pack for $5 in August 2022

You can score great deals on Tabita Brown’s newest collection at Target. As an...

By Alfred Keen
Coupon

Portable Countertop Dishwasher, 5 Washing Programs WALMART CLEARANCE in August 2022

Material: ABS+Steel+Galvanized plate Product Type: Countertop Number of Place Settings: 6 Number of Cycles:...

By Alfred Keen
Coupon

Pioneer PN43951-22U 43″ 4K HDR LED UHD Fire Smart TV for $190 in cart in August 2022

Never Miss Another Deal Get the latest deals delivered straight to your inbox You...

By Alfred Keen
Coupon

Wireless EarbudsBluetooth 5.0 Wireless Earbuds Bluetooth Headphones with Deep Bass HiFi 3D Stereo Sound Built-in Mic Earphones with Portable Charging Case for Smartphones and Laptops (White) On Sale At Walmart in August 2022

Glitchndealz » Walmart Coupons & Promo Codes » Wireless EarbudsBluetooth 5.0 Wireless...

By Alfred Keen
Coupon

WD Easystore 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive for $43 in August 2022

It's $2 under our March mention and a savings of $42 off list. Buy...

By Alfred Keen